Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Composting

IT'S SPRING!
To this (new) home owner that means that it is time to get outside! We are working on preparing a little patch of land for a home veggie garden and I can't wait to see some growth! 
The other week Will and I made a little composting bin so that in the future we can add some great nutrients to our garden. 
We started with an old RubberMaid type of container that we cleaned out during the move and drilled holes every 2 inches (or so).

 Then we ripped up some paper from our recycle pile. 

 And added the paper and some food scraps to the bin.

I continue to add scraps to the bin and shake it once a day. 
A few things I have learned:
1. If you cut up your kitchen scraps before you put them in the bin they will break down faster.
2. If your bin starts to smell then add a little bit of dry material like paper.

It was a fun little project and I am so looking forward to seeing what it produces. Also, I love having a place besides the trash can to throw food scraps in so that they don't stink up the house. Between the compost bin and the bag of vegetable clipping that I keep in the freezer to make broth with, we have cut way down on the amount of trash coming out of our house!

No comments:

Post a Comment